Biotechnology Forums
GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Printable Version

+- Biotechnology Forums (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com)
+-- Forum: Education and Careers (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-26.html)
+--- Forum: Careers (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: GATE Advice to Low Scorers (/thread-3330.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - SunilNagpal - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 04:58 PM)Anne Wrote: Hello Sir,
I am a final year Btech biotechnology student with GATE AIR 1233 and score of 359 , as my percentile is 86.7% will i be eligible into NITs , i am hoping there will be no chance in IITs . And as the number of students appeared were 8923 will there be any good place where i could apply?? Please help

Hello Anne,

Don't get dis-heartened. Apply at IIT Guwahati, University of Hyderabad, IIT Hyderabad, IISER, NCCS. All these are amongst the best in India.

Best wishes

Sunil

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Tyson - 03-28-2015

(03-20-2015, 10:45 PM)SunilNagpal Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 06:59 PM)kmsri Wrote: Thank You Mr Sunil.  As per info in IITB website, the cut off for Bio-Medical Engineering is 400 -  I am not sure of job prospects for Bio-Medical Engineering.  Your inputs on Job Opportunities in Industry and Teaching (within India) would be greatly appreciated.  Also, Kindly advise if I stand a chance at IIT Hyderabad and Delhi.  Thanks again

Sri

Hi Sri,

Well, a cut-off of 400 opens opportunity for many aspirants and it's great that IITB kept a lenient cut-off. If your GATE score is above 400, then without any doubt you should start preparing for their written test/interview. 

And IITB and IITD are amongst the best IITs in the country. I am sure that IITD will keep a lenient cut-off too (as per the preliminary info that I could see at IITD website, a minimum score of 300 has been prescribed for admission to Masters and PhD courses in IITD across the institute. 

You will get call from IIT Hyderabad without any doubt. It's a newly established IIT but it would be having a world class campus (Japan being the infrastructure head for it). Faculty is good there. As of now, the campus is under construction.

Job prospects are many after a degree from IIT. Average package goes around 7-8 lpa (IITD and IITB). Biocon, Dr. Reddy, Novozymes, Wockhardt, TRDDC, Abott, Consultancy firms are key industries. Teaching is always up and open for IIT graduates/PG/PhDs. More importantly, you will have all doors open to pursue a good PhD from a university abroad (Germany/UK/US/Singapore).

In short, your career woes would decrease drastically! 

Hope it helps

Best wishes

Sunil 

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Tyson - 03-28-2015

Hello Sunil Bhaiya,
my AIR is 215 in BT in GATE 2015.This yr too the intervw dates for IIT Kanpur and IIT Madras are clashing.I hv already applied for Madras and will also be applying for Kanpur.But i'm a still confused which one i should choose if i get a call from both.I 'm thinking of Kanpur but i still need ur advice.Also, should i apply for NITs and other new IITs as well?
I also want to know is my Rank good enough for getting IITs?Plzz. help

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Anne - 03-29-2015

(03-28-2015, 05:42 PM)SunilNagpal Wrote:
I am a final year Btech biotechnology student with GATE AIR 1233 and score of 359 , as my percentile is 86.7% will i be eligible into NITs , i am hoping there will be no chance in IITs . And as the number of students appeared were 8923 will there be any good place where i could apply?? Please help

Hello Anne,

Don't get dis-heartened. Apply at IIT Guwahati, University of Hyderabad, IIT Hyderabad, IISER. All these are amongst the best in India.

Best wishes

Sunil

Thank you Sir, And what are the chances in NIT ?

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - SunilNagpal - 03-29-2015

(03-29-2015, 01:32 AM)Anne Wrote:

Hello Anne,

Don't get dis-heartened. Apply at IIT Guwahati, University of Hyderabad, IIT Hyderabad, IISER. All these are amongst the best in India.

Best wishes

Sunil

Hello Anne,

Try NIT Hamirpur, Rourkela, ISM Dhanbaad. You should get them as well, but better keep IIT Guwahati, University of Hyderabad, IIT Hyderabad, IISER in priority.

Best wishes

Sunil

RE: Tyson's quest: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - SunilNagpal - 03-29-2015

(03-28-2015, 09:26 PM)Tyson Wrote: Hello Sunil Bhaiya,
my AIR is 215 in BT in GATE 2015.This yr too the intervw dates for IIT Kanpur and IIT Madras are clashing.I hv already applied for Madras and will also be applying for Kanpur.But i'm a still confused which one i should choose if i get a call from both.I 'm thinking of Kanpur but i still need ur advice.Also, should i apply for NITs and other new IITs as well?
I also want to know is my Rank good enough for getting IITs?Plzz. help

Hello Tyson,

Your rank is undoubtedly worth getting the calls from IITs. Your focus should be on written tests and interviews of IITs.

Yes, definitely IITK is better choice (you will face good competition there owing to the fact that most will prefer IITK only).

At this Rank, you will get into some IIT for sure. If you want to apply at NITs, just do that for Top 3-5 NITs only. I'll recommend IIIT over new IITs. But again, your rank is good enough to get into one of the top 7 IITs (if you focus well on next phase and stay confident). I recommend IIT Hyderabad to students at low scores, but your is good enough and I would like to see you land up in one of the top IITs than new ones.

Hope it helps

Best wishes
Sunil

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Anne - 03-29-2015

(03-29-2015, 04:02 AM)SunilNagpal Wrote:

Hello Anne,

Don't get dis-heartened. Apply at IIT Guwahati, University of Hyderabad, IIT Hyderabad, IISER, NCCS. All these are amongst the best in India.

Best wishes

Sunil

Hello Anne,

Try NIT Hamirpur, Rourkela, ISM Dhanbaad. You should get them as well, but better keep IIT Guwahati, University of Hyderabad, IIT Hyderabad, IISER, NCCS in priority.

Best wishes

Sunil
 Sunil sir , i had this query about NCCS.. can we apply directly through gate or do we need to crack DBT JRF for it ??

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - SunilNagpal - 03-30-2015

(03-29-2015, 04:08 PM)Anne Wrote:
(03-29-2015, 04:02 AM)SunilNagpal Wrote:

Hello Anne,

Best wishes

Sunil

Hello Anne,

Try NIT Hamirpur, Rourkela, ISM Dhanbaad. You should get them as well, but better keep IIT Guwahati, University of Hyderabad, IIT Hyderabad, IISER, NCCS in priority.

Best wishes

Sunil
 Sunil sir , i had this query about NCCS.. can we apply directly through gate or do we need to crack DBT JRF for it ??
Hello Anne,

About NCCS, they are yet to offer Masters courses. And they do offer PhD but having a PG degree is a must. A mere qualification of DBT/CSIR/INSPIRE/ICMR/JGEEBILS/BINC is sufficient to apply for PhD after masters. In your case thus, NCCS should be kept out.

I shall correct my post.

All the best!

Sunil

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - pragovil - 03-30-2015

(03-28-2015, 01:43 AM)SunilNagpal Wrote:
(03-28-2015, 12:02 AM)pragovil Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 04:14 PM)SunilNagpal Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 03:14 PM)pragovil Wrote: Dear Sunil,

I qualified GATE 2015 with GATE score 433 and AIR 657.
I have done my BE in Biomedical with an aggregate of 80.17% and had the opportunity to complete my final year engineering project from IIT Bombay as an external student
I also have one year work experience in TCS.
Please suggest what chances I have for admission to IITs and NITs for an Mtech

Thanks
Looking at your GATE score and your experience, I believe you should easily get IITB/IITK/IITM. Focus hard on IITB (GATE score cut-off for general category being 400). Once you get into IITB, your career will definitely rise high. IIT Hyderabad/University of Hyderabad are both good options. Go for top 3 NITs only, other NITs don't have good placement records for M.Techs.

And, apply at AcSIR for PhD as well (only if you are interested in pursuing PhD).

Your percentile is aboave 90? Why don't you try at NUS/DAAD?

Hope it helps

Best wishes

Sunil

Dear Sunil,

Thank you so much for your encouragement!

Could you also shed some light on the written test/interview procedures for IITB/IITK/IITM and IITR?
I am aware the written test for IITB for Biomedical engineers includes 12th CBSE Math and Physiology syllabus.
What about the others?
Hi Pragovil,

I hope this http://www.biotechnologyforums.com/thread-3330-post-9049.html#pid9049 serves your query. And, you may refer this http://www.biotechnologyforums.com/thread-6861.html as well.

In case there is any other query too, do let me know.

Best wishes

Sunil

Thank you so much! The threads were helpful!

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - kmsri - 03-31-2015

Hello Mr Sunil

Do you know of any IITs that offer M Tech in Bio-Informatics? (I know IIITs do). Also your views on prospects Bioinformatics would be appreciated.
Thank You
Sri