Biotechnology Forums
Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective - Printable Version

+- Biotechnology Forums (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com)
+-- Forum: Contests (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-39.html)
+--- Forum: BioWrit (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-40.html)
+---- Forum: April 2015 (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-48.html)
+----- Forum: Entrance Exam Preparation Tips / Interview Experiences (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-45.html)
+----- Thread: Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective (/thread-6926.html)

Pages: 1 2

Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective - ADAS - 05-01-2015

Hello all,

After my last post about my experiences during interview at IIT-Kanpur, I planned to share my experiences of my interview at IIT-Kharagpur.

IIT kharagpur was my second successful interview out of 3 interviews, thus would like to share some worthy experiences.

My Experience:

I did my Bachelor's degree from west bengal, and was acquainted to bengal, thus IIT-KGP was one of my targets to pursue higher studies. My all India rank was high enough, that I was confident that I would get a call, and it happened as I expected. As I entered the campus, and was enthralled after seeing the green and serene campus of IIT-KGP. The ambience made me forget about the interview. I reached at evening and roamed around the campus, the whole evening. A must visit is the tech market, especially the food stalls, present there, selling local food and beverages. The breeze, the dusk, and the bengal flavor made me nostalgic. So, the first suggestion for the candidates will be, to enjoy the campus and surroundings, along with the food spots, and relax themselves.

Now comes the part, everyone will be reading for, ie, the interview experience. Honestly speaking, the professors in the panel were very friendly, and as I mentioned in my previous post about IIT-Kanpur, had a good sense of humor. All the candidates were asked to sit in a lecture room, and after sometime, names of victims were called one by one  Tongue . As my name was called, with great enthusiasm, I stood up and went inside in front of the panel. It is very important to be enthusiastic, coz M.Tech is not just a degree, it's an experience, you sought the most.

As I sat in front of the professors, I was asked the most unexpected question. They asked me to do a SWOT analysis of myself. Many of you, who don't know what SWOT analysis is, it is analysis of your personality through analysis of your Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. This is how, they wanted to understand me and my personality. Thus, it is very important to know yourself which is one most important aspect of one's persona. Believe in yourself and tell the truth.

After the SWOT analysis and some light discussions about personal life along with few jokes and fun filled moments (NB: making your panel laugh or lighten their mood is on you), I was asked to describe my research interest. Here, don't go for some fancy stuff, rather state something more practical and achievable and about which, you have ample knowledge. As I stated my research interest, just like at IIT-Kanpur, I was dragged into the loop. Somehow, I managed to escape the trap, and was able to convince the panel, I was worthy enough for a master's degree. They smiled and asked me to leave. I got an offer from IIT-KGP, but finally joined IIT-Kanpur for my master's.

Takeaway lessons:
1. Live the life, and enjoy the ambience. Success and failures come and go, but these experiences will stay forever. Thus explore the campus, enjoy the moment.
2. Be confident. If you don't know something, don't be nervous or ashamed, just tell the professors, the truth.
3. Don't be fancy about research topics. Even the professors know, how capable a graduate can be. Be practical.
4. Know yourself. This will help you in all interviews.
5. And as I always say, stay calm and do your part. Your life and future is not decided by a single success or a failure. Strive hard to succeed, and work harder to stay at that position.

Best of luck to all the aspirants.

PS: Those who scored low or didn't get success and looking for NITs or other options, I'd suggest, drop a year, and reappear for GATE. One decision can change your life.

Enjoy life in present. One should not be a prisoner of the past, nor should be future phobic.

--ADAS

RE: Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective - SunilNagpal - 05-01-2015

Brilliant post ADAS!! Such motivations are badly needed at this stage of a student's career.

Your suggestions towards life for the students reminded me of Henry Ford's words:

Life is a series of experiences, each one of which makes us bigger, even though sometimes it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward...

Thanks for devoting your time in reaching to the needy here..greatly appreciate your gesture!

I am sure, apart from the readership, you're going to receive blessings of many for helping them in the crunch time..

Thanks and Cheers
Sunil

RE: Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective - Saumita Chakravarty - 05-04-2015

Hello Sir

Thank you so much for the valuable information. Can you please give any idea regarding the written test for PhD admission in IIT kharagpur? They haven't mentioned any syllabus for biotechnology. Is the exam totally based on subject?

It would be a big help.

Regards
Saumita

RE: Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective - shilpa sarkar - 05-04-2015

Thank u for such a post. . It helped to ease out myself a bit..

RE: Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective - ADAS - 05-04-2015

(05-04-2015, 01:00 AM)Saumita Chakravarty Wrote: Hello Sir

Thank you so much for the valuable information. Can you please give any idea regarding the written test for PhD admission in IIT kharagpur? They haven't mentioned any syllabus for biotechnology. Is the exam totally based on subject?

It would be a big help.

Regards
Saumita

Hello Saumita,

in my last reply, which, I have deleted, I thought you're asking about written test for M.Tech selection, which did not happen for IIT-KGP, during my time. Regarding PhD selection process, I am not sure, as I didn't appear for PhD entrance in IITs. I will talk to my friends, who are presently research scholars at IIT-KGP and can let you know in few days. Till then, I'd suggest, revise your GATE syllabus thoroughly and also practice questions from last 10 years NET (Part A and B) papers.

Best of luck

ADAS

RE: Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective - ADAS - 05-04-2015

(05-04-2015, 05:06 AM)shilpa sarkar Wrote: Thank u for such a post. . It helped to ease out myself a bit..

The sole purpose to post my experiences with a philosophical flavor, was to ease the tension, which crawls into the minds of the students leading to nervousness. Hope that it will help others too.

Regards

ADAS

RE: Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective - shilpa sarkar - 05-04-2015

Hello
can u please tell me that they ask about the research project I would like to work on or the research area for example genetics, medical biotechnology etc

RE: Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective - ADAS - 05-05-2015

(05-04-2015, 03:00 PM)shilpa sarkar Wrote: Hello
can u please tell me that they ask about the research project I would like to work on or the research area for example genetics, medical biotechnology etc

Hello Shilpa,

Even I was asked questions like these. They only check whether you know about the professors or not. Generally, they ask this in detail, during PhD interviews. Still if they ask something like these, they major areas will be your graduation project, what you did and what are its future implications. 

Regarding your research interest, they will first ask you few basic questions related to that field, and then will give you a mock problem to solve. You need to tell them the approach, probable outcomes and alternative strategies. Overall, it'll be like a normal scientific discussions which happens over a cup of tea. So no need to worry about that.

Hope that helps.

ADAS

RE: Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective - shilpa sarkar - 05-05-2015

Thank u sir. Do I need to carry my project report.

RE: Interview at IIT-Kharagpur : My Perspective - ADAS - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 01:17 PM)shilpa sarkar Wrote: Thank u sir. Do I need to carry my project report.

Not required but you can carry it