sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloning of endangered and extinct species
(10-14-2012, 03:16 AM)BojanaL Wrote: .....

What is making me really angry and sad is that mankind is responsible for all recently (couple of hundred years) noted extinctions. Why don't we use money and effort made in cloning animals to prevent extinction instead? Don’t you think that those kinds of experiments are cruel to the animals? Who ask female elephant if she is willing to be a surrogate mother to a mammoth? Would you like to be a surrogate mother to a chimpanzee, as its closest relative? I don’t think so. We managed to destroy so many beautiful things on the planet Earth, but driving animals extinct instead preserving them and then resurrecting them just to show future generation how mammoth looked like before he went extinct - I just don’t get it! If human ever become critically endangered – please don't clone me!Dodgy

From the humor in your last statement, I wouldn't necessarily want to be cloned either. However, I feel that what scientists can learn from these experiments, even if they should fail would be of a great benefit to adding value to the technology as we know it today. For instance we can use the technology to better our techniques involving stem cells and working to clone them. To be able to regenerate living, viable tissue instead of relying on artificial replacements of joints, to use an example would be tremendous.

I can completely understand your reaction to cloning extinct animals. The knee-jerk reaction is one of revulsion to many, myself included. However you have to realize the other benefit to the technology's use. I see a viable new knee joint in my future! Wink
Like Post Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cloning of endangered and extinct species - by elizabethyoung64 - 12-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 16,337
12-31-2013, 02:16 AM
Last Postbrijnbhatt
Replies: 1
Views: 18,074
09-17-2013, 09:46 PM