sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
António Guterres: The New Chief of United Nations (UN)
January 1st Marked the first day of work for the New Chief of United Nations - Secretary-General António Guterres.
In his first speech, he vowed to make 2017 a year of Peace and said:
Quote:“On this New Year's Day, I ask all of you to join me in making one shared New Year's resolution: Let us resolve to put peace first”

The New Secretary General of United Nations was emotional in expressing that one question weighs heavy on my heart,
Quote:“That is: how can we help the millions of people caught up in conflict, suffering massively in wars with no end in sight?”

“Peace must be our goal and our guide,”  the new chief of UN said and urged all citizens, governments and leaders to strive for overcoming their differences.

“I appeal to you all to join me in committing to peace, today and every day. Let us make 2017 a year for peace,” he urged.

He was formally appointed by the UN General Assembly to the post of New Chief of United  Nations on 13 October 2016.

Mr. Guterres ages 67 and will serve for a five-year period from 1st January 2017 to 31 December 2021.

In the past, his career highlights were:
  • Prime Minister of Portugal from 1995 to 2002
  • UN High Commissioner for Refugees from June 2005 to December 2015.

Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply

Messages In This Thread
António Guterres: The New Chief of United Nations (UN) - by SunilNagpal - 01-02-2017, 03:54 PM