sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference between polar and high polar metabolites?
Hi, can anyone tell me what's the difference between polar and high polar metabolites? Are they similar? Thanks !
Like Post Reply
I think the answer to your question is that 'high polar' metabolites are more polar than 'polar metabolites'. Some endogenous metabolite are highly polar such as sugars and most amino acids. You do not specify in your question what type of metabolites you are mainly interested in so I will give a little more attention below to products of drug metabolism.

Drug metabolism occurs mainly in the liver, where the enzymes involved in drug metabolism are most highly concentrated. The aim of drug metabolism is to make it easier for the body to excrete. Often drug metabolism occurs in two phases. The first phase is non-synthetic and involves formation of a new or modified functional group or cleavage, for example oxidation, reduction or hydrolysis. The second phase is synthetic and involves conjugation with an endogenous substance such as glucuronic acid, glycine, glutamine or sulphate. Metabolites formed in synthetic reactions are more highly polar than those formed in non-synthetic phase I reactions. This enables them to be more readily excreted by the kidneys and the liver. Some drugs, however, undergo only phase I or phase II reactions.

Glucuronidation is the most common phase II reaction. Glucuronides are secreted in bile and eliminated in urine. Amino acids conjugation produces conjugates that are readily excreted in urine but not extensively secreted in bile. Sulphate esters are polar and readily excreted in urine.

The polar nature of drug metabolites means that they are difficult to analyse quantitatively using conventional methods such as reversed-phase liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (RPLC-MS/MS). An alternative chromatographic method, hydrophilic interaction chromatography (HILIC), has been developed to try to overcome these problems. It can also be used in profiling polar metabolites, for example in biological extracts such as urine samples, whatever their source, e.g. drug-derived or endogenous.

I hope this gives you some further insight and I direct you to the sources below for further reading.

Sources

http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional...olism.html

Jian W, Xu Y, Edom RW, Weng N, 2011. Analysis of polar metabolites by hydrophilic interaction chromatography--MS/MS.Bioanalysis, 3(8), pp. 899-912.

Callahan DL, De Souza D, Bacic A, Roessner U, 2009. Profiling of polar metabolites in biological extracts using diamond hydride-based aqueous normal phase chromatography. J Sep Sci., 32(13), pp. 2273-80.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post