sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A horrible lot of questions about Biotechnology and Biomedical Science!
(The text below may sound like a soap opera.sorry!)

Hello,all of you!

I am an individual who wishes to learn a subject that enables him to help in the fields of anti aging process and improving human body capacities in general(on a molecular level).I have come to the conclusion that the best way to do this would be studying Biotechnology or Biomedical Science.Actually,first I thought Biotechnology is the way to go,because I didn't know anything about Biomedical Science.So,according to my delusional goals,which one should I choose?For my bachelor deggree,that is.

My second question is this:In bachelor deggree level courses,do the professors all teach the same stuff?Or relatively similar stuff?If so,would you be so kind as to redirect me to some links with which I could prepare myself for Uni?

Aaaand.Third.I never was good at math.I blame that on my teachers though.Having said that,could you pretty please tell me just what math skills I should have mastered prior to entering Uni?!

Thanks in advance!
Like Post Reply
Hi Jittler,
Frankly, I found your questions really interesting and exciting too Smile Your vision towards your career goal is quite inspiring. Let's ponder over some facts:
1. Talking about a degree in Biotechnology, the entire coursework will enable you learn about "Microbiology", "Immunology", "Cell Biology", "Molecular Biology", "Tissue Culture", "Pharmaceutical Sciences" and "Process Technology" (the essence of Biotechnology).
So, consider your graduation as a process towards the goal you've set. Whereas these courses will enable you to understand the intricacies of the subject, and it's applications in improving the human life (rather all organisms'), your internships and Major Project are going to decide the fate of your career. So, choose with wisdom! Degree in Biotechnology is a broad perspective, your goal on the other hand is a specialization. Don't expect that getting a degree in Biotech might fetch you the tag of a scientist/researcher working on Molecular aspects in no time. As, I said, it's going to be a process of sincere understanding of the concepts and careful decisions on internships/projects.

2. Biomedical Sciences on the other hand is a specialization. You'll be expected to have your concepts in Physics and Mathematics quite strong. Electrical engineering and instrumentation engineering, coupled with strong hold on Human Physiology and Tissue Culture is what makes the specialized field of Biomedical Engineering. So, I have a little doubt about Biomedical Sciences/Engineering being the proper field for what your goal is.

About the level of mathematics needed for Biotechnology--you just need to have an average hold over high school maths. Biotechnology mostly deals with statistical aspects of mathematics. It shouldn't trouble you much. You'll have a couple of basic mathematics subjects in your degree course too. They are expected to cater to Calculus and Probability & Statistics.

I hope this answers to your queries to some extent (if not fully).

Best Wishes

Sunil

(06-05-2014, 08:30 AM)Jittler Wrote: (The text below may sound like a soap opera.sorry!)

Hello,all of you!

I am an individual who wishes to learn a subject that enables him to help in the fields of anti aging process and improving human body capacities in general(on a molecular level).I have come to the conclusion that the best way to do this would be studying Biotechnology or Biomedical Science.Actually,first I thought Biotechnology is the way to go,because I didn't know anything about Biomedical Science.So,according to my delusional goals,which one should I choose?For my bachelor deggree,that is.

My second question is this:In bachelor deggree level courses,do the professors all teach the same stuff?Or relatively similar stuff?If so,would you be so kind as to redirect me to some links with which I could prepare myself for Uni?

Aaaand.Third.I never was good at math.I blame that on my teachers though.Having said that,could you pretty please tell me just what math skills I should have mastered prior to entering Uni?!

Thanks in advance!
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply
Hello!

Thanks for the reply!English is not my mother language though,so sorry if my following question seems to be a little bit stupid!
From what I understood you mean that I should go with Biotech because it is more compatible with my goals,correct?

Thanks again!

Ps:Sorry to pry,but could you also please propose some books which would prepare me better for the Uni courses?I imagine that you may not know any because you mentioned the phrase "...(not fully).."but I thought I'd ask anyway so if anybody else sees that and knows any,would be kind enough to redirect me to said materials!
Like Post Reply
Yes, Biotechnology (according to my perception) would be a better option considering your goal.
And about the books:

Microbiology: 1. Brocks's Microbiology is a must read (I can share dropbox link to it, if you don't find it)
2. Prescott's Microbiology is a worth read too.

Immunology: Nothing better than Kuby's Immunology (I'll recommend buying a hard copy of this book, though soft copies are easily available. )

Cell and Molecular Biology :1. Molecular Biology of the Cell by JD Watson
2. Cell Biology by Gerald Karp
Both these books are must read.

Tissue Culture: Culture of Animal Cells by R. Ian Freshney

Process Technology:
Bioprocess Engg. By Doran

Hope this serves your query.

All the best!

PS. Your skills in English are really good! I didn't mention the answer to your query clearly.

(06-06-2014, 06:25 AM)Jittler Wrote: Hello!

Thanks for the reply!English is not my mother language though,so sorry if my following question seems to be a little bit stupid!
From what I understood you mean that I should go with Biotech because it is more compatible with my goals,correct?

Thanks again!

Ps:Sorry to pry,but could you also please propose some books which would prepare me better for the Uni courses?I imagine that you may not know any because you mentioned the phrase "...(not fully).."but I thought I'd ask anyway so if anybody else sees that and knows any,would be kind enough to redirect me to said materials!
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply
Well,thank you soo much!Before your suggestions I was trying to memorize a encyclopediae of biotechnology,which had 9957 pages or so.....I still will though,but first I am gonna let some university terms pass by :-).

I can't thank you enough!
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 74
Views: 320,195
10-25-2021, 02:18 AM
Last PostSaraMa
Replies: 12