sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career in Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics, the field of Biotechnology that amalgamates the application of computer technology with the management of Biological data, has emerged as one of the most potent job sectors for bio-technologists all over the world. This article is aimed at updating you all (and obviously getting updates from all of you), about the industrial trends of Bioinformatics. We will focus on following points in this article:
  • The key research areas of Bioinformatics which are garnering the interests of corporate and academic world
  • The kind of internship projects in Bioinformatics that can fetch you a good job
  • Which companies/institutes are worth landing in for a good job/degree in Bioinformatics
and much more..

A Bioinformatician (also dubbed as Computational Bio-Scientist) can work on a broad spectrum of technologies. Major amongst them are:

a. Molecular Modelling and drug designing

b. Computational Systems Biology

c. Genomics, Proteomics and Metabolomics

d. Forensic scientist

e. Metagenomics researcher

f. Microarray analyst

These research areas/jobs are in-fact the hot topics in Industry and academia alike.

It is thus advised that, if you are targeting a career in Bioinformatics, your projects/internships should be inclined towards one/more of the above mentioned areas/positions. For instance, your project may be something like:

A. Drug Design

1) Selection and characterization of some disorder that you hypothesize/propose to be cured by the molecule/drug you would design in-silico.

2) Identifying  and validating a molecular target relevant to the disease.

3) Proposing an approach that could help identify the lead compounds for development of a drug for the disease you
selected. Post target validation, you would develop a specific biochemical, cell-based, or in silico assay.
Information courtesy: web.chem.ucsb.edu

B. Systems Biology

Systems biology is a broad field. Some typical examples of projects in this field can be:
1) Developing mathematical models for a microbial/human metabolic pathway
2) Metabolic flux analysis
3) Simulating a living cell/being

C. Genomics, Proteomics, Metabolomics

These three fields are probably the most explored fields of bioinformatics. Typical projects may be like:

a. Genome annotation
b. Analysis of genome/proteome/transcriptome of a diseased person/subject
c. Identifying mutations/SNPs
d. Assembly of a genome

and many more

D. Forensic Scientist

In order to become a forensic scientist through Bioinformatics skills, one should be accustomed to DNA fingerprinting / analysis/extraction of DNA of vulnerable samples.

E. Metagenomics

Metagenomics has attracted the attention of scientific community lately. It refer to the study of DNA recovered directly from various types of environmental samples. The basic aim of metagenomic research remains to identify the microbes associated with an environment; and or various metabolic functions associated with the environment. It's one of the hottest topics of research, and to enter into this field, one can pursue projects like:

a). Identification of microbiota associated with a disease (like microbiota associated with lungs of a lung cancer patient).
b). Understanding various approaches to perform metagenomic analysis
c). Getting deep understanding of various tools used in metagenomic analysis.

F. Microarray Analyst
A microarray analyst as the name suggest would possess the skill set to analyse the complex data generated by microarrays. One would need to get internship in a lab where microarray based research is actively carried out.

Now, let's focus on the companies/institutes which can nurture your career in Bioinformatics:

1. IBM
2. TCS
3. WIPRO
4. RELIANCE
5. Procter and Gamble
6. Thermo Fisher
7. EMD Serono
8. Biocon
9. Merck
10. Boston Children's Hospital
11. Broad Institute
12. NUS
13. Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
14. Beckman Coulter, Inc
15. Kynapse
16. IITs, IIITs, IISc
17. NIBR, Cambridge
18. Qiagen
19. Novartis
20. Thomson Reuters
21. Astra Zeneca
22. GVK Biosciences
23. Cell works
24. PREMIER Biosoft
25. Abott
26. Eli Lilly
27. GSK
28. Sanofi
29. Roche
30. Illumina
31. Pfizer
32. J&J
33. Harvard, MIT, Columbia, Boston University

I'll keep you posted of the updates.

All the best!

Sunil
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
[+] 2 users Like SunilNagpal's post
Like Post Reply
Hello Sunil sir,

Would like to bring back this old thread (I discovered it now btw) 
I am keenly interested in Bio-Info, metagenomics to be more specific. Does IISc has research going on in Metagenomics?
Since this seems to be a very tech related stream, was wondering IISc has any department working on it.
If not then what other institutes are into Metagenomics? 

Also, any career options through Metagenomics, as I happen to not hear about it much often as an industry based subject?
Like Post Reply
(02-21-2017, 12:24 AM)Manoj_Shastry Wrote: Hello Sunil sir,

I am keenly interested in Bio-Info, metagenomics to be more specific. Does IISc has research going on in Metagenomics?
Since this seems to be a very tech related stream, was wondering IISc has any department working on it.

Also, any career options through Metagenomics, as I happen to not hear about it much often as an industry based subject?
Hello Manoj,

Well well well, Metagenomics has been my bread and butter for last 3 years! It is no doubt a very active field!

We have had collaborations with IGIB, IIT Delhi, University of Hyderabad, IISERs and THSTI, so they are definitely active players. I am not sure about IISc though.
Sunil Nagpal

Suggested Reads:
Like Post Reply
(02-21-2017, 02:38 AM)SunilNagpal Wrote:

Hello Manoj,

Well well well, Metagenomics has been my bread and butter for last 3 years! It is no doubt a very active field!

We have had collaborations with IGIB, IIT Delhi, University of Hyderabad, IISERs and THSTI, so they are definitely active players. I am not sure about IISc though.

hello sunil sir,
what is the actual scope after mtech bio informatics and the kind of job opportunities here ?? how is this field progressing in INDIA now ??
Like Post Reply
(02-21-2017, 04:02 AM)subasuba Wrote:
(02-21-2017, 02:38 AM)SunilNagpal Wrote: Hello Manoj,

hello sunil sir,
what is the actual scope after mtech bio informatics and the kind of job opportunities here ?? how is this field progressing in INDIA now ??
Hello Suba,
There is a good scope of Bioinformatics. Almost every IT company is shifting its focus to LifeSciences and that has lead to establishment of Bioinformatics Research Groups in each of the IT company in India.

Accenture works on it, IBM does, TCS does, Cognizant does, Wipro does and then there are numerous dedicated start ups as well. It's a hot field and has enough room for the enthusiastics.
Sunil Nagpal

Suggested Reads:
Like Post Reply
(02-21-2017, 04:16 AM)SunilNagpal Wrote: Hello Suba,
There is a good scope of Bioinformatics. Almost every IT company is shifting its focus to LifeSciences and that has lead to establishment of Bioinformatics Research Groups in each of the IT company in India.

Accenture works on it, IBM does, TCS does, Cognizant does, Wipro does and then there are numerous dedicated start ups as well. It's a hot field and has enough room for the enthusiastics.

thank you sir.

i am really humbled by your dedication and enthuciasm in spreading knowledge.
great going sir.
Like Post Reply
(02-21-2017, 02:38 AM)SunilNagpal Wrote:

Hello Manoj,

Sunil sir,

Thank you very much for the information. I would like to get more specific about my query.
 My interest specifically is in agricultural Genomics/Metagenomics. A vague idea of my research interest is that I want to study the interactions b/w crops and soil microbiome through genomics approach. 
Have been looking at research profile of faculties at IITs and IISc but not able to identify a particular one where research on similar interests are happening.
Can you please tell me as to what institute/department would be the best for research in this discipline? 
It would be very helpful if you can mention faculties who are into similar kind of research at these institutes.

P.S: 
I will be finishing my B.Tech in BT soon. Awaiting GATE results and looking forward to DBT BET and CSIR NET as well. 
So I have my options open with all institutes within purview of these exams. 

Thank you.
Like Post Reply
Hello sir
Is it right decision to go for m tech in bioinformatics?
Now my b tech (biotechnology)is about to be end .it is my last semester and my interest in computational biology.
Like Post Reply
Hello sir.
Now my b tech (biotechnology)is about to be end .it is my last semester and my interest in bioinfo.. and iit provide course like m.tech in bioinfo. If yes then which is best...
Like Post Reply
Hello sir.
Now my b tech (biotechnology)is about to be end .it is my last semester and my interest in bioinfo.. but i have an little bit knowledge of computer program. and known some software like autodock;vina.discover visualizer;pymol etc. which i was learn at the time of summer internship in 2 months. so,plz suggest me is it right to go througt it..,or is it sufficient to take admission in m.tech bioinfo after crack gate exam.. 2. and iit provide course like m.tech in bioinfo. If yes then which is best...?
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 7,359
08-08-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Postbinu
Replies: 1
Views: 11,696