sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meat from vegetable
Hello. I have an idea. We need gene modify some fruit or vegetable to make it meat. I mean, gene modify this vegetable to make

inside it animal protein. In this case we will have cheap meat which we can grow on garden and we won't kill animals.

What do you think? Is it possible?
Like Post Reply
There are two different issues that you bring up: One is an issue of creating specific protein(s), and the other is creating "meat". "Meat" is really a culinary term, not a scientific one, and describes animal muscle, which is often cooked. There is no way that a plant is going to produce animal muscle and still be a "plant". As far as a plant producing specific proteins, that seems possible in theory, but extremely difficult in practice.
Like Post Reply
Hello, walkingfish. Thank you for you answer. I have another idea. Can we add B12 vitamin to soybean? Will that modified soybean be like meat?
Like Post Reply
I think I understand your question a bit better now. You are not trying to create a product that tastes like meat or has the consistency of meat. You are trying to create a nutritionally balanced plant-based food that can simulate meat in the way it's processed metabolically by humans. This is a different goal. Adding the ability for the plant to produce B12 would be a start. Such an ideal "super plant" should contain all amino acids needed by people.

As for how to do this, I have no idea. What you're proposing is very complicated, and beyond my scope of understanding.
Like Post Reply
Hello, walkingfish. Thank you for your answer. Yes, I'm trying to create a nutritionally balanced plant-based food that can simulate meat in the way it's processed metabolically by humans.
It will look like that - you eat some soybeans or rice, and you get all B's (B6, B12), amino acids and proteins. It will be cheat meat, and we will not need to kill animals anymore.
I'm russian, and I don't know anything about biotech. Walkingfish, we should tell this idea to people. What do you think? As many people as we can. Maybe we should even send this idea to some biotech magazine (if there is any). Do you know any news group/magazine/forum/online meetings? Can you write some article and send this article to these people? I can't, but I want to help people and animals.
Like Post Reply
If you guys wish to write some article and spread it to maximum people, then I guess you already are on the right platform...this forum should be a nice means to communicate...
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply