Biotechnology Forums
GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Printable Version

+- Biotechnology Forums (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com)
+-- Forum: Education and Careers (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-26.html)
+--- Forum: Careers (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: GATE Advice to Low Scorers (/thread-3330.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - SunilNagpal - 03-21-2016

(03-21-2016, 05:54 AM)Malay Wrote: Hello Sunil sir,i have got a rank of 22 in Gate 2016.I want to apply for IIT Bombay.So, can u plzz tell me the ways to prepare for the written test/interview?

Hello Malay!

Well done for the feat! If your background is pure Biology (didn't opt for Maths in 12th) then you should be preparing for 11th and 12th standard maths (calculus and statistics specifically).

Written test is more inclined towards checking overall scientific aptitude in IITB and IITK. In IITD, you should be expecting technical MCQs/detailed questions.

Once you make it to interview, it is all about your project, interests, and questions related to your favorite subject(s).

A useful link to you:

http://www.biotechnologyforums.com/thread-6861.html

Hope it helps and all the best

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Malay - 03-21-2016

(03-21-2016, 05:52 PM)SunilNagpal Wrote:
(03-21-2016, 05:54 AM)Malay Wrote: Hello Sunil sir,i have got a rank of 22 in Gate 2016.I want to apply for IIT Bombay.So, can u plzz tell me the ways to prepare for the written test/interview?

Hello Malay!

Well done for the feat! If your background is pure Biology (didn't opt for Maths in 12th) then you should be preparing for 11th and 12th standard maths (calculus and statistics specifically).

Written test is more inclined towards checking overall scientific aptitude in IITB and IITK. In IITD, you should be expecting technical MCQs/detailed questions.

Once you make it to interview, it is all about your project, interests, and questions related to your favorite subject(s).

A useful link to you:

http://www.biotechnologyforums.com/thread-6861.html

Hope it helps and all the best

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Malay - 03-21-2016

Thanks for the wishes sir.Actually,i had both Biology and Maths in my 12th std.(CBSE Board).So, should i prepare for both?

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - SunilNagpal - 03-21-2016

(03-21-2016, 07:52 PM)Malay Wrote: Thanks for the wishes sir.Actually,i had both Biology and Maths in my 12th std.(CBSE Board).So, should i prepare for both?

Yes Malay, your focus should be on both of them. Also, you can contact the current students studying at IITB for their opinion on the same. Hope it helps and Best wishes

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - p44 - 03-21-2016

Hi sir, it seems really tough to get info about GATE xl. Thats why am writing my query here.I scored 365 in GATE XL 2016,AIR 1476,percentile 99.9 (Gen catagory). I am from msc medical microbiology background. I want to pursue Phd in Microbiology,Cell biology or Immunology. Pls let me know whether I can apply any of the colleges with my score.

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Raj - 03-22-2016

Sunil sir, i can't find the cut off marks for any iits this year, can you please help me out. And if you can please tell me about the phd program through csir it would be really helpful

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - prankur - 03-22-2016

(03-21-2016, 05:40 PM)SunilNagpal Wrote:
(03-21-2016, 01:15 PM)prankur Wrote: @sunil Sir, i have cleared GATE BT 2016 examination, got rank 137 and score 602. 
I have done my highschool in up board got 59 % and intermediate got 57%. My B.Sc. Lifescience from rmlau, Faizabad and got 62 % marks, My M.Sc. Biotechnology from GLA University, Mathura in 2014 batch and got 72%. My question is that should i go for M.Tech, PhD or integrated course M.Tech PhD????

Hello Prankur,

Whereas your GATE, BSc and MSc scores are really nice, I'm afraid your highschool and intermediate marks could be matter of concern (please do check the minimum eligibility marks for 10th and 12th for getting admission in IITs/NITs). If there is a special case of UP board, then there is nothing to worry about (I've heard that UP board is quite strict in marking).

You should go for PhD from here. After MSc your case is more apt for PhD than MTech. And, as I suggest to everyone else, you should also try for NTU/NUS/HKTU.

Best wishes
thank you sir for good advice......
but sir for NUS i have to pay $24000 approx per year ( i dont know exact ammount) ? i had watched your previous comments. it will be 16 lacs approx. this is huge ammount. my financial  condition does not allow? is there any scholarship? will they give scholarship to a average student like me?

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Raj - 03-23-2016

(03-22-2016, 10:12 PM)prankur Wrote:
(03-21-2016, 01:15 PM)prankur Wrote: @sunil Sir, i have cleared GATE BT 2016 examination, got rank 137 and score 602. 
I have done my highschool in up board got 59 % and intermediate got 57%. My B.Sc. Lifescience from rmlau, Faizabad and got 62 % marks, My M.Sc. Biotechnology from GLA University, Mathura in 2014 batch and got 72%. My question is that should i go for M.Tech, PhD or integrated course M.Tech PhD????

Hello Prankur,

Whereas your GATE, BSc and MSc scores are really nice, I'm afraid your highschool and intermediate marks could be matter of concern (please do check the minimum eligibility marks for 10th and 12th for getting admission in IITs/NITs). If there is a special case of UP board, then there is nothing to worry about (I've heard that UP board is quite strict in marking).

You should go for PhD from here. After MSc your case is more apt for PhD than MTech. And, as I suggest to everyone else, you should also try for NTU/NUS/HKTU.

Best wishes
but sir for NUS i have to pay $24000 approx per year ( i dont know exact ammount) ? i had watched your previous comments. it will be 16 lacs approx. this is huge ammount. my financial  condition does not allow? is there any scholarship? will they give scholarship to a average student like me?

They dont look for 10th and 12th standard results only look for the college results and toefl score. you have a good score in masters so you should get at least one scholarship available there. plus if you have completed your degree you must apply by 15th may for the january 17 batch

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - prankur - 03-27-2016

(03-23-2016, 05:12 PM)Raj Wrote:
(03-22-2016, 10:12 PM)prankur Wrote:

Hello Prankur,

Best wishes

They dont look for 10th and 12th standard results only look for the college results and toefl score. you have a good score in masters so you should get at least one scholarship available there. plus if you have completed your degree you must apply by 15th may for the january 17 batch

ok... thanks sir

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - anu - 03-29-2016

Hello Sunil Sir

I have cleared Gate BT 2016 with AIR 202 and score 573 (percentile : 97.7). I wanted to know if I should apply at IITs with this score as they usually prefer score above 600. Also what is the minimum percentile or cut-off  required for MS-R at School of Biological Sciences IIT-Delhi. They have not specified any cut off in their brochure for biotechnology and biosciences department.

Thanks

Regards
Anu