Biotechnology Forums
GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Printable Version

+- Biotechnology Forums (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com)
+-- Forum: Education and Careers (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-26.html)
+--- Forum: Careers (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: GATE Advice to Low Scorers (/thread-3330.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - SunilNagpal - 04-09-2015

Hello Tyson,

I hope you went through my interview experience at IITB: http://in.biotechstudents.com/interview-at-iit-bombay/

And, you should expect questions related to your Project as well.

For both IITB and IITM, first of all read through the faculty profiles and try to look for those areas which you could focus on during your M.Tech. And be very expressive about your interest and vision during the prospective M.Tech at the institute.

Concepts like Bioremediation, Physiological affects of pollutants and poisons, Biofuels etc are going to be your saviors according to my perception. Stay strong on these aspects.

One thing should always be kept very clear in one's perception: "The very first aim of the Interviewers always remains 'looking at how good you are in your own field's relation to their field'. If you can impress them there, you will make it there!"

Hope it helps

Best wishes

Sunil

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - sudhk - 04-10-2015

Hello Sunil
I have 1004 rank in gate biotechnology 2015.I have applied to hyderabad university,iiit hyderabad and vit. Should I fill form of ccmt this year is there any hope in nit.

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - monika - 04-10-2015

Hello sunil,
I have qualified GATE BT 2015 with 350 rank and a score of 506. I have done a years project in ACTREC mumbai last year as a part of M.Sc curriculum. plz do suggest me the institutes for phd and m.tech.
waiting for ur reply.

monika

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - SunilNagpal - 04-11-2015

(04-10-2015, 10:13 PM)sudhk Wrote: Hello Sunil
I have 1004 rank in gate biotechnology 2015.I have applied to hyderabad university,iiit hyderabad and vit. Should I fill form of ccmt this year is there any hope in nit.

Hello Sudhk,

NIT Hamirpur, NIT Jalandhar, NIT Rourkela should be easy to grab ( my friends got there with nearly 1200-1400 ranks, though they were in waiting list first). Also note that  you should try for Environmental/Energy sciences departments of various institutes as well. 

Applying for CCMT wont be a bad idea if you really want to get admission in this year only. CCMT would give you a broader prospect.

If you can make manual effort in looking through the cutoffs of various departments of different institutes, you might go through without the need of CCMT.

Let me know if you have any other query.

Best wishes
Sunil

(04-10-2015, 11:32 PM)monika Wrote: Hello sunil,
I have qualified GATE BT 2015 with 350 rank and a score of 506. I have done a years project in ACTREC mumbai last year as a part of M.Sc curriculum. plz do suggest me the institutes for phd and m.tech.
waiting for ur reply.

monika

Hello monika 

I have tried to compile the following list for you. Your score is good enough to land you in one of the top 7 IITs...let's hope for the best!

IIT Bombay
IIT Kharagpur
IIT Madras
IIT Kanpur
IIT Guwahati
NCL Pune
IGIB Delhi
NII (try next intake, applications are over)
IISc Bangalore
NUS 
DAAD

You are eligible for almost every university/institute. I'm just listing the best ones for you.

You should separately try for JNU SLS exam as well.

Hope it helps

Best wishes
Sunil

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - sudhk - 04-11-2015

Thank You Sunil your help is greatly appreciated.Can you give me an idea of m.tech in nits vs m.tech in iiit and hyderabad university because I haven't heard good things about m.tech in nits.

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Priankay - 04-11-2015

Hey Sunil !
I have got 52nd rank in Gate biotech this year. I have applied for mtech in clinical engineering in IIT Madras. I request you to kindly give me an insight on the future prospects of this stream. It seems really interesting to me , but it would be a transition from Biotechnology to Biomedical engineering,which could be difficult. Also can you please give me some tips for preparation for the test and interview. I am really confused since this is an interdiscilinary courses and most of the branches are eligible for it. Will they ask a lot of maths and aptitude questions?

Also I want to know if your Btech performance plays a major role in the short-listing process. I feel really insecure about this since my undergrad performance has been just average.

Please please reply..I am really confused and your posts really help me.

Thanking you in advance
priyanka

(04-11-2015, 08:22 AM)Priankay Wrote: Hey Sunil !
I have got 52nd rank in Gate biotech this year. I have applied for mtech in clinical engineering in IIT Madras. I request you to kindly give me an insight on the future prospects of this stream. It seems really interesting to me , but it would be a transition from Biotechnology to Biomedical engineering,which could be difficult. Also can you please give me some tips for preparation for the test and interview. I am really confused since this is an interdiscilinary courses and most of the branches are eligible for it. Will they ask a lot of maths and aptitude questions?

Also I want to know if your Btech performance plays a major role in the short-listing process. I feel really insecure about this since my undergrad performance has been just average.

Please please reply..I am really confused and your posts really help me.

Thanking you in advance
priyanka

Hello Priyanka,

Congrats for the brilliant performance! And kudos to your decision to pursue your interest and go for Clinical Engineering, when you could easily get offer/admission in any IIT of your choice.

Future prospects of Clinical Engineering are indeed bright (especially in Clinical Research Centres, Hospitals, Healthcare MNCs). In India (and ofcourse entire world), there has been a surge in attention towards healthcare diagnostics and high-end treatment, under such a state of art, Clinical Engineering does stand a field of good potential (both in terms of jobs and learning curve).

If you go for this course, then your first focus should be Khorana Program (applications start in October-November). Followed by that, at the end of the degree Stanford India Biodesign could be an ideal platform to launch your career in the right direction (obviously, that depends upon the kind of projects you pursue during the degree).

Companies that you can focus on after such a degree are: GE Healthcare, Wipro Biomedicals, L&T Biomedicals, Accenture, P&G, Agilent, Bioradar, ThermoScientific, Advinus etc.

Ideal hospitals would be AIIMS New Delhi(collaborated with Stanford India Biodesign), CMC, PGI Chandigarh, Lady Hardinge Medical College (all are institutional and are govt. hospitals, mostly). Private hospitals may also be targeted.

Opportunities abroad are innumerable!

Now the Hiccups:

1) Yes you will be shifting to Biomedical, which would be interdisciplinary (it's both exciting as well as challenging).
2) For written test, the syllabus remains focussed towards Mathematics, Physics and the basic engineering principles (taught in firs year of B.Tech degrees). You should have got the intimation of the syllabus by now. If not, then refer this:
(I have copied it from IITM website. It's the syllabus for written test:

Mathematics

Numbers, Logarithms, Complex numbers, Algebra, Trigonometry, Sequences and Series, Sets, Relations and Functions, Mathematical Induction, Linear and Quadratic equations, Cartesian System of Rectangular Coordinates, Straight lines, Circles, Conic Sections, Three Dimensional Geometry, Permutations and Combinations, Binomial Theorem, Probability, Statistics, Mathematical Logic, Boolean Algebra, Vectors, Matrices and Determinants, Limits and Continuity, Differentiation, Application of Derivatives, Definite and Indefinite Integrals, Differential Equations.

Physics
Physical World and Measurement, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body, Work, Energy and Power, Gravitation, Electricity, Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism, Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current, Electromagnetism, Waves, Optics, Oscillations, Dual Nature of Matter and Radiations, Thermodynamics.

Basic Engineering [First Year Undergraduate Level]
Basic electrical and electronic engineering, Solid mechanics, Strength of materials, Basic thermal sciences, Basic programming, Engineering drawing.

For Mathematics and Physics, you can rely on 11th and 12th level NCERT books or related books you referred to during your Senior Secondary Schooling.

Once you are done with the Written Test, you should be confident enough that you will make it to the seat in IITM (after written test, 70% weight-age is given to your GATE performance. And, I'm sure the interviewers would look more for your aptitude for the course than your current state of knowledge for the subject (at the end of the day, you are joining that course because of you interest in learning the same.)

Hope it helps

All the best!

Sunil

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - Tyson - 04-11-2015

Hello Sunil Bhaiya,
I have a small doubt regarding the syllabus of Written test of IIT Madras that the syllabus u provided above to Priankay is this the prime syllabus for all depts. like Env. engg.,biomedical engg,etc.?
Also, is Physics mandatory for the syllabus of written tests of all IITs?

RE: GATE Advice to Low Scorers - SunilNagpal - 04-12-2015

Hi Tyson,
Not at all, that syllabus is specific to CE. I'll ask for the questions asked in previous year written exam from one of my acquittances. But as per my conversation with the person during his admission at IITM, I remember that there were questions specific to Bioprocess (He had applied for Bioprocess degree) apart from general aptitude.

And Physics is not mandatory for written exam of diff IITs...each IIT has it's own format (generally inclined towardsbthe degreenapplied for).

And sorry for the delayed response, I was actually trying to reach the person (who cleared IIT Madras written and Interview), but he wasnt available for the call.

Will let you know his experience soon.

Till then I suggest you to go through my interview experiences (If you havnt gone through yet) at www.BiotechStudents.com

Best wishes
Sunil