sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will I have the same opportunity for BS Biology:Concentration in Biotechnology
Hello guys,

I would like to know if, with all things being equal, a Biotechnology degree is the same as a degree in Biology: Concentration in Biotechnology? Unfortunately, my university only offers this degree and I am stump on what to do with it once I graduate. I recently switch from Biochemistry to Bio: Conc. Biotech so I am completely clueless. I am worried about what career I can make out of this if I don't decide to go to a med or even a grad school. Thanks a lot!
Like Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 03:36 AM)Lawrence Mariano Wrote: Hello guys,

I would like to know if, with all things being equal, a Biotechnology degree is the same as a degree in Biology: Concentration in Biotechnology? Unfortunately, my university only offers this degree and I am stump on what to do with it once I graduate. I recently switch from Biochemistry to Bio: Conc. Biotech so I am completely clueless. I am worried about what career I can make out of this if I don't decide to go to a med or even a grad school. Thanks a lot!

Hello Mariano,

You don't need to worry. BS in Biology with concentration in Biotechnology is no less a specialization than a degree in Biotechnology specifically. The curricula are more or less same when you compare the two degrees. Still, just for the sake of being doubt free, I would recommend a glance of the curriculum of the course your University is offering. It should contain sections on Cloning (practical labs), Gene manipulation, Bioprocessing, Tissue culture and Biomedical Sciences (may vary a bit). If the course work includes these, you may rid yourself of any worry what so ever.

And about the career prospects, there are plenty (though it always depends upon your academic performace, followed by the repute of your college/university, and obviously upon the 'Country' you are living in). To name a few easy to grab jobs:
  • Environmental Research
  • Scientific Writing
  • Quality control engineer
  • Microbiologist
  • Process Engineer

If you have any doubts, do let me know.

Best WIshes!
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /