sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Poll: Did you enroll for Mathematics as well in 12th Class?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
41.67%
No
58.33%
Total
24 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career in Biology or Biotechnology after 12th (PCB)
Information 
This article came out of the realization that hundreds and thousands of students enrolled in Physics, Chemistry and Biology as major subjects in 12th class (High School) remain confused/worried about their future/career. So, I am writing this article to satiate this particular need of yours. I hope it helps in some way to relieve the confusion and worries of emerging students of Biotechnology.

In order to keep it simple, let's go step by step towards this decision making process.

Step 1: Understanding Biotechnology
Before jumping into the field of Biotechnology for pursuing a career, you need to be aware of what this field is all about--it's history, it's evolution, it's branches, it's applications, various industries, and obviously the scope of Biotechnology. Following is a video lecture from CEC UGC which I'm sure will help you in going through this step of understanding Biotechnology. Once you thoroughly watch this video, you will be in a state where you will be able to synchronize your mind with your interests:

(You are suggested to make notes of various branches of Biotechnology which can provide a career opportunity, while you watch this video)

Let's jot down key fields of Biotechnology wherein you can put your steps for a career:
1. Microbiology
2. Agricultural Biotechnology
3. Genetic Engineering
4. Clinical Research
5. Biochemical Engineering
6. Immunology (Biotechnology in fighting/diagnosing disease)
7. Food Biotechnology
8. Veterinary Sciences
9. Biomedical Engineering (artificial organs/synthetic organs/bio-instruments)
10. Bioinformatics (Computational Biology)
11. Marine Biology (Life in oceans)
12. Extra-terrestrial Biology (Life in space)
13. Environmental Biotechnology
14. Nano-Biotechnology (an emerging field with applications in Health Research and Diagnostics)

Step 2: Choosing between ENGINEERING and SCIENCE
Having made your mind about entering the field of Biotechnology with an aim to get into one or two of the above branches for specialization, your next question to yourself should be:
Whether I want to be an Engineering student or a Science student. The basic difference between an Engineering and Science student is that (a) An engineering student goes through a rigorous curriculum of learning all fields of technology along-with the core field of Biotechnology. In other words, as an engineering student, you will be expected to study subjects pertaining to Electrical, Mechanics, Design, Computer programming, Engineering Mathematics etc alongwith the subjects of Biotechnology. There is equal focus on practical knowledge of all the technologies, including your core field. B.Tech/ B.Engg./ M.Tech/ M.Engg. are the degrees that lead to an Engineering student. An engineering degree keeps you open for Non-core jobs as well, considering the fact that you have had enough exposure to all technologies during the degree. (b) A science student on the other hand is focussed more towards the core technology with deep emphasis on theory and practical of your own field only i.e Biotechnology/related subject. More often, a science student is inclined towards theoretical details of all subjects related to his/her degree. Degrees leading to a Science student are BSc/MSc. Getting a non-core job after a science degree is very difficult for the obvious reasons. If you want to become a teacher, then you can choose a Science degree without any hiccup.

Step 3: Choosing the appropriate degree to meet your interests/goals
Having made your mind about your career interest and whether you want to be an engineering student or a science student, the next step is deciding the degree to pursue. Following figure summarizes the various possible degrees that you can opt for. Image is taken from the Article: Career Oriented Courses in Life Science and Biotechnology published on www.BiotechStudents.com.

[Image: careeroriented_lifeSc..png]
Step 4: Choosing the College/Entrance Exam
The next step towards your career decision should be: Choosing the college / Entrance exam you want to go for. This decision is greatly dependent upon your academic performance in 12th exams. Reason being the fact that, most of the "Good" colleges in India have stringent cut-offs in terms of 12th marks. So, it's advisable that one remains diligent and prolific in 11th and 12th standard. In fact, your performance in 12th standard has a profound impact on your eligibility for JOBS and HIGHER STUDIES later in your career.
Following is a list of competitive exams and colleges one can opt for a degee in Biotechnology:
  • AIIMS Biotechnology Entrance Exam
  • JEE (For colleges across the country): and for all IITs
  • Combined Biotechnology Entrance Examination (CBEEE)
  • Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test
  • University Of Rajasthan , Jaipur: PET and JEE
  • Punjab University, Chandigarh : JEE
  • GNDU, Amritsar : JEE and own entrance test
  • University of Kerala
  • Bharathiar University
  • Jamia Milia Islamia
  • Bhartiya Vidyapeeth Pune
  • Bansthali
  • Visverswaraih Technological University, Karnataka
  • Various colleges of Delhi University
  • Thapar University
  • IIIT Hyderabad (JEE, Own test)
  • Gulbarga University, Jnana ganga
  • Aligarh Muslim University
  • Osmania University
  • Annamalai University
  • NITs (JEE)
  • BHU
  • Goa University Biotechnology Entrance Examination
  • J.N.C.S.R (Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research)
  • J.N.T.U (Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University)
  • M.K.U (Madurai Kamaraj University
  • University of Hyderabad
  • Sastra University
  • University of Kashmir
  • Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology
  • RGPV
  • Khalsa College Chandigarh
  • DCE
  • All India Pre-Veterinary Test AIPVT 2015

All these colleges offer undergraduate and post-graduate courses. Many of these offer seats on first come first serve basis as well. Some of the colleges like DU have stringent cut-offs for 12th marks.

I hope these suggestions will help you in making a wise decision for a career in Biotechnology right from the beginning.

If there is any other information needed, do let me know.

All the best

Sunil
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply
Hello sir,
I'm currently studying bsc (hons) biotechnology. I have a GPA of 7.1. I wish to pursue MBA abroad. Is Mba a good option or a dual degree of MBA/MS biotech would be beneficial? Kindly suggest colleges or universities in abroad. I prefer studying in Dubai,Canada or Russia. Which country i should opt for?

Awaiting response
Like Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 06:21 PM)Meena Wrote: Hello sir,
I'm currently studying bsc (hons) biotechnology. I have a GPA of 7.1. I wish to pursue MBA abroad. Is Mba a good option or a dual degree of MBA/MS biotech would be beneficial? Kindly suggest colleges or universities in abroad. I prefer studying in Dubai,Canada or Russia. Which country i should opt for?

Awaiting response

Hello Meena,

If you are planning to come back to India for a job, then doing MBA abroad, after BSc Biotech in India won't be a very good idea. Yes, if you are going to pursue it from a University of High repute, then it would be beneficial.

MS Biotech would make more sense than MBA Biotech for a career in India. If you really want to pursue an MBA for a career, you are suggested to go for non-Biotech MBA (Marketing/Operations/Production).

And, it's not the country that matters, but the institute where you are going to get admitted. Canada is popular for higher studies. But let me know the following points, so that I can make a proper suggestion:
a) How much you can afford (educational + living expenses)?
b) Looking for a job/career in India?
c) 10th, 12th marks?
d) After reading my suggestion (+ self introspection), what would you like to pursue as a degree ahead: MS or MBA? Core MBA or Non-core?

Hope it helps

Best wishes

Sunil
Sunil Nagpal

Suggested Reads:
Like Post Reply
Thank you sir for responding. I have no intentions of doing job in India. I scored 80% in 10th and 69% in 12th. I intend to choose a career apart from basic research prospects which comes under MS biotechnology. If Mba is not a good idea. Then i have looked up for a dual degree in University of Maryland University college,USA. I can afford maximum expenses of 25 lakh. Sir, i need suggestion that which country or university would be beneficial for me out of Uk, Russia, or Dubai.
Like Post Reply
(04-12-2015, 02:06 AM)Meena Wrote: Thank you sir for responding. I have no intentions of doing job in India. I scored 80% in 10th and 69% in 12th. I intend to choose a career apart from basic research prospects which comes under MS biotechnology. If Mba is not a good idea. Then i have looked up for a dual degree in University of Maryland University college,USA. I  can afford maximum expenses of  25 lakh. Sir, i need suggestion that which country or university would be beneficial for me out of Uk, Russia, or Dubai.

Hello Meena,

United Kingdom would be best amongst (UK, Russia and Dubai). UK has one of the best Biotech colleges/institues/universities with good QS Ranks. You may find a self sponsored position in UCL (University College London), KCL (King's College London), University of Edinburgh, University of Glasgow, University of Manchester, University of Briston.

These are amongst Top 50 and with lenient norms. Try contacting a professor there and express your interest (along-with the information that you'll be self sponsored). Contacting a professor is not mandatory for MS.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Best wishes

Sunil
Sunil Nagpal

Suggested Reads:
Like Post Reply
Sir,
I thank you for your reply. You've been great support. But the universities you mentioned do not have Mba/Ms dual degree in biotechnology 
Like Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 02:48 PM)Meena Wrote: Sir,
I thank you for your reply. You've been great support. But the universities you mentioned do not have Mba/Ms dual degree in biotechnology 

Hello Meena,

I had suggested the institutes, assuming that you would either go for an MS or an MBA. If you specifically wish to pursue a joint MS.MBA degree, then best place would be US only (there are plenty of institutes with good repute offering a dual degree MS.MBA program in Biotech. In the institutes I mentioned for UK, you can either go for an MBA or for an MS or for an MRes. 

Personal recommendation would be to pursue the degrees separately, rather than a joint program (unless you pursue it from the one of the best institutes).

Colleges/Universities in US to go about various dual degrees (not just MS.MBA) are:

• University of Wisconsin 
  • University of Maryland University College (as researched by you)
  • California State University 
  • Georgetown University  
  • University of Florida 
  • University of Rhode Island
  • University of Texas at Dallas
  • University of Central Florida 
  • Roosevelt University 
  • Marywood University
  • University of Houston at Clear Lake
  • University of the Sciences in Philadelphia 
  • East Carolina State University
  • Texas Tech University 
  • University of Buffalo – State University of New york 
  • Polytechnic University of New York
Hope it helps.

Let me know if you have any other query.

Best wishes

Sunil
Sunil Nagpal

Suggested Reads:
Like Post Reply
Sir I can't thank you much for your advise. But I'm looking forward for applying in university that do not require GMAT/GRE scores. I don't have much time left to prepare for them considering my project work, presentation and exams in final semester.
Like Post Reply
hello,

Really need advice about getting b.tech biotechnology or BAMS.

I have completed my 12 (PCB) in 2012. And from then I had to pause my studies coz of some health problem.

Now i am planning to do either BAMS or B.tech (biotechnology). can you please help me choosing the right option having better career and scope.

If its b.tech then if possible please provide me some suggestions about good colleges having fee around 50000 because my parents can't afford more than this.

I haven't applied for any university or college till now.

Also if I do B.tech from Amity university,Gwalior what will be the estimated expenses?
and will amity, Raipur be a good choice?
thank you! Smile
Like Post Reply
Hello Sahil,

My personal recommendation specifically for your case would be to go for BHMS or BAMS if you haven't appeared for any competitive exam for getting admission. Private Univeristies have high fee regimes (to the tune of over 1-1.5 lakh per annum for tution fee only, other expenses ignored).

In the context of immediate jobs/earning, you will be better off with BHMS/BAMS as you would be able to start practising right after the degree. And these days, Indian govt and Indian citizens have extra inclination towards Ayurveda & Homeopathy (check: AYUSH). Average consulation fee charged by a Homeopathy/Ayurveda consultant these days is Rs 100/- per patient for 7 days med. Four years from now, you should expect it get more popular and more reliable and even more earning oriented.

After B.Tech Biotech, you should pursue atleast masters to have a good career (which would require above par academic and co-curricular performace). And having already dropped three years due to health problems, my sincere suggestion would be BAMS/BHMS.

Hope it helps

Best wishes

Sunil
Sunil Nagpal

Suggested Reads:
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /