sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tips for Admission in National University of Singapore
(11-02-2014, 11:53 PM)Sapthaswaran Wrote: Hi Sunil,

At the outset, great work helping out students like me in the admission process. Really appreciate it Smile
I did my Integrated MSc in Biology & Pharmacy from BITS Pilani. I have a CG of 8.34/10 overall but my core CGPA in Biology & Pharmacy courses is much higher.
My biggest worry is with the Publications part because I do not have any. I do have a couple of lab projects during my college but I do not have a proper JRF experience. However, for the past 1 year since I  graduated, I have been been working at Leica Microsystems. They manufacture high end imaging systems like confocal microscopes. So could you please help me evaluate my overall profile? My GRE is 315. ( I know they prefer 320+ ) Yet to give GATE as well. Undecided Do I stand a fair chance for a PhD at NUS's DBS? Also, is TOEFL required for Indian students? I read in the website we are mostly exempted from it, but is it required to send them the Toefl scores as well?

Hi Sapthaswaran,

Thanks for the appreciation! Few years down the line, I'm sure you'll find a distinct pleasure in sharing your experience with the needy around..

First of all, having research publications is not a must for grabbing a seat in NUS. As a matter of fact, 2 of my juniors got direct admission to NUS ChBE for PhD, after their B.Tech (they had no experience, no research publications). All they had was a good GATE percentile (one of them had above 95percentile; and other above 92).
I would say that give a relaxed attempt to GATE BT/XL (I'm saying relaxed, because all you need to achieve is 90 percentile). Attempt only those questions in GATE which you are completely sure of; attempting for around 60 marks out of 100 will keep you at a safe enough position. And then it depends upon the difficulty level of the paper as well. If you find it difficult to answer the questions or questions seem bit tricky, then it would be so for everyone; and thus you should expect a low cut-off; and thus attempt accordingly. Donot panic and stay focused on the fact that if you attempt wisely, it's way to easy to crack 90 percentile.

And yes, if your mode of study in 12th and MSc was English, then you need not to appear for TOEFL/IELTS.

Your profile is better than many candidates against whom you would be competing; and it's possible that you might get a call even with the GRE score of 315. Try contacting professors at DBS through email and express your interest. You might find a guide who is willing to have you as a PhD scholar. This would ensure you a seat there.

Till then,..focus well on GATE  Smile

All the best

Best Regards

Sunil
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tips for Admission in National University of Singapore - by SunilNagpal - 11-10-2014, 05:09 PM
RE: Tips Admission | NUS vs NTU - by SunilNagpal - 08-18-2015, 03:59 PM
gate score and admission - by vishakha - 03-12-2015, 09:55 PM
requirement for NUS admission - by sree2529 - 10-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 14,767
03-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Last PostAnkit