sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tips for Admission in National University of Singapore
(12-02-2014, 02:06 AM)Suyog25 Wrote: Dear Sunil,
You are doing great job especially for the upcoming researcher by directing them at the right phase of their life to
right place i.e.NUS

I did my BSc Biotechnology:-University of Mumbai :- 63%-2012.
MSc Biotechnology-Fergusson College Pune(University of PUNE) 67%.-2014.

I did my dissertation work(6 months) at Premium Serums PUNE-one of the anti-snake venom serum producing industry. Title:- The Development of ELISA for determination of anti-cobra venom antibodies in Equines. no publication.
During my project i met Prof.R.M.Kini(Protein science Lab NUS). He helped me in development of scientific insight
while modifying cobra venom.in short i know him.  

I always wanted to work with such Profesor. The work is still going on in industry. I left it for joining GRE Coaching because the industry is 80 km away from PUNE with very bad public transport.

what do you suggest in this situation. My parent don't know anything about NUS. so they are not agree with this idea. They asked me to perform well in CSIR/ DBT JRF.  How to handle this situation?
GRE/ TOEFL requirement?
What will the benefits of giving subject GRE(Biochem,Cell bio, genetics) for fellowship / assistantship   ?
Can this idea

Hi Suyog,

My clear piece of advice would be to pursue NUS or some other university abroad if you are really serious about your scientific career. In India you can pursue PhD but let's accept it that our Universities and Institutes are yet to streamline their system in Biotechnological research atleast (we are improving but there's long way to go). May be you can add to a better pool of scientists to improve the system here later. In India, if you really want to pursue the research then study the track record of the scientists first before making a decision. One of the improtant things to check would be the average time taken by their students for the award of PhD; apart from the facilities; no. of research publications of the students and whether same kind of research is being done all the time by all students or not.

How to go about it?

If you have applied for GATE, then GATE is the easiest and least expensive way to enter NUS.
If you haven't then pursue GRE with conviction. GRE/GATE is just an eligibility criteria; you can go for GRE General as well.

At the same time, appearing for CSIR/DBT JRF is not going to be a bad decision. Go for these exams as well as a contingency plan.

AND, please do email Dr. Kini about your interest, it will strengthen your chances of getting a PhD at NUS.

Apply at NTU as well.

Hope it helps,.Best wishes

Sunil
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tips for Admission in National University of Singapore - by SunilNagpal - 12-10-2014, 02:18 PM
RE: Tips Admission | NUS vs NTU - by SunilNagpal - 08-18-2015, 03:59 PM
gate score and admission - by vishakha - 03-12-2015, 09:55 PM
requirement for NUS admission - by sree2529 - 10-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 14,858
03-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Last PostAnkit