- Leukemia is one type of cancer which does not produce tumors but the blood cells divide abnormally and uncontrollably. There are different therapies for the cancer but none of them assures the complete removal of the disease fro the body. Scientists have thought of applying gene therapy to eradicate the disease and are certain that it will bring new hope for the cancer patients.
Method of Gene therapy and Cancer treatment
There are different possibilities which can be used to treat cancer with gene therapy:
- Genes specially designed for the treatment of cancer can be inserted into the cancerous cells so that they become sensitive and can be destroyed with chemotherapy.
- One possibility is that genes can be inserted into the cancer cells, they will release toxin which will completely disable them to function in a negative way.
- Genes can also make the cancerous cells unstable. Usually caner cells do not allow the faulty DNA to repair which results in the rapid growth of abnormal cells.
- As cancer is caused due to the mutations in the genes, that is why if healthy genes are added in place of abnormal or missing genes, they will start working in a normal way.