sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Size of laminar flow hood (bioreactor culture)
I'm trying to get some idea as to parameter specs for cell culture.  Thus far, people here have been very helpful, and I'm very appreciative.  As a working standard, I'm envisioning using a bioreactor of 30 cm in length, and less than 20 cm in width.  However, the I'm not certain of the specs yet.  Assuming that I'll be working with a reactor of this size, do you think that something like the "small single" hood in the link at the end of the post would be sufficiently large?  The internal Depth x Width x Height = 61 cm x 81 cm x 43 cm.  I understand that a hood must be larger than what is simply placed inside of it, as there must be sufficient air flow around that which is inside.  I've heard that 20 cm is a good rule of thumb to use regarding distances between objects, and away from the aperture of the hood.  Is this reasonable?

Regarding the specific hood listed below, there is no air-tight seal between the hood and the environment.  It occurs to me that this might not be a problem, since pressure will be greater within the hood than outside anyway.  What do you think?

Finally, does it really matter from where the air is drawn for the intake?  I.e., if the air is drawn from an area of low circulation, such as, for example, behind another instrument, would this matter?  The air will be filtered, so I'm guessing that it won't.  

Thanks.

Link:
http://www.terrauniversal.com/laminar-fl...ection.php
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 10,983
07-14-2017, 04:33 AM