sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career Prospects after B.E./B.Tech in Biotechnology
Completed Bachelors of Engineering in Biotechnology in India. Experience in IT and need assistance on how to go about future career planning. 

Hi Sunil,

Hope you are doing good .  Smile  Please do share about as to what are doing now ? working or have you continued studying ?

I completed my BE,Biotechnology in 2014. Have a CGPA of 8.31. Currently working in IT sector .But want to come back to my field much earlier.

I wish to write GATE next year. Donno to go with M.tech or MS . And what are job opportunities after masters? Placements in IITs for BT ,please give an insight about it ? Will core companies come ?

Is Ph.D a must in this field ? How should one go about it ? What should one expect  coz working after masters and then go for Ph.D having the fear of limited working opportunities after masters.
MS abroad would be costly .

I read you telling about NUS. Please tell us more about it .With scholarship would there be any expenses from our side ? As NUS accepts GATE scores ,its really benefiting.

I know its too many questions .  Confused  Hope you would help me .

Thank You  Smile
Like Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 12:13 AM)darshan.raj Wrote: Completed Bachelors of Engineering in Biotechnology in India. Experience in IT and need assistance on how to go about future career planning. 

Hi Sunil,

Hope you are doing good .  Smile  Please do share about as to what are doing now ? working or have you continued studying ?

I completed my BE,Biotechnology in 2014. Have a CGPA of 8.31. Currently working in IT sector .But want to come back to my field much earlier.

I wish to write GATE next year. Donno to go with M.tech or MS . And what are job opportunities after masters? Placements in IITs for BT ,please give an insight about it ? Will core companies come ?

Is Ph.D a must in this field ? How should one go about it ? What should one expect  coz working after masters and then go for Ph.D having the fear of limited working opportunities after masters.
MS abroad would be costly .

I read you telling about NUS. Please tell us more about it .With scholarship would there be any expenses from our side ? As NUS accepts GATE scores ,its really benefiting.

I know its too many questions .  Confused  Hope you would help me .

Thank You  Smile

Hello Darshan,

Let me answer your queries one by one:

A. What am I doing these days?
Well, I am a Researcher in an MNC, and work in Computational BioSciences domain. Apart from that, interacting with Biotech professionals and students around the globe really interests me, so whenever I find time, I keep the interaction up on platforms like BiotechnologyForums and BiotechStudents.com. And, I realize that this is one of the most active periods of the year when students in India find themselves in the need of some guidance. It feels good to be a part of a helping pool.

I like this place more because I used to write articles on this forum during my MS at IITD, and somehow it became a part of life to come and visit the forum to check out the queries and information posted by users from different parts of the world.

B.  What are job opportunities after masters? And confusion between MS and M.Tech?
As you are looking for corporate jobs after masters, I'll suggest you to opt for M.Tech (MS being more research oriented). You may read THIS ARTICLE of mine to get some clarity of thought.

And considering your experience in IT, I'll strongly recommend Masters in Bioinformatics/Biomedical from either IIIT Hyderabad, IIT Bombay, IIT Kanpur or University of Hyderabad. There is huge surge in career opportunities for Bioinfo professionals in IT sector and MNCs like IBM etc.

Whatever topic you choose in Masters, core companies do come to all IITs. It rather depends upon the activity levels of students during placement season, as to which company they call for placements. I was in the Nucleus team of placement cell of IITD, and we pitched hard for all companies we wanted to call at IIT, and many of them came.

At the end of the day, it zeroes down to your "Academic performance (CGPA is the first filter) followed by Aptitude (written test of companies), GDs and technical skills (interviews)" that decide the fate of your placement.

C. Is Ph.D a must in this field ?

No and yes. No because I am not a PhD but still have a good career graph. Yes because, for getting to higher positions in corporate/academic hierarchy, PhD really helps. PhD after job experience is much much better than being a fresher after PhD. So, if you clear your GATE, then better go for direct PhD at NUS.

D. MS abroad would be costly?

If you are self sponsored, yes it would be very costly. If you get some scholarship after GRE then it would not cost you at all. But going for a PhD abroad is better than MS abroad, AND there are more chances of grabbing a scholarship for a PhD than for masters in any institute.

E. With scholarship would there be any expenses from our side at NUS?
No, there are nearly zero expenses (academic and hostel) at NUS as you get supported by NUS with a very healthy scholarship. You end up saving more than S$1000 every month!

For details on NUS, please refer: THIS ARTICLE , THIS ONE TOO, THIS ARTICLE as well and THIS ARTICLE.

I hope I covered most of your queries (if not all of them).

Do let me know if you have some other question/query.

Best wishes

Sunil
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /