sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help in choosing right subject in Ph.D. biotech
Hi everyone,
Hope all are doing good.....

Guys, I completed my masters in biotechnology in 2011 from India. Now, I want to pursue my further career in biotech mixed with any computer related subjects (like Bioengineering). So can anyone please suggest me are there any courses in masters and also universities which are offering subjects as I asked before.

Also please suggest me that "Is it better to opt now for masters in the previously mentioned subjects (biotech mixed up with computers) or Ph.D. (purely biotechnology), so that I want to earn a good job in biotech field itself.

Hoping for the quick and best answer...

Thank You for reading my query...

Have a nice time guys.
Like Post Reply
Hi Pranavi,

There are three options here.
1. You may pursue M.Tech in Biomedical Engineering from IIT Bombay/IIT Kanpur. You'll need to have a good GATE score to get into any of them. You may pursue M.Tech in Biomedical from NIT Roorkee as well, that won't require a too high GATE score. (I won't consider any of these as a good option, considering the fact that you already have completed M.Tech).

2. Second is to go for PhD in Biomedical Engineering from IIT Bombay/Kanpur or in Bioinformatics from IISER, Pune/Bhopal or IIT Delhi. If you have above 90% or above 9 CGPA, then you won't need any supporting tests like NET/GATE/DBT to support your application, but in the event of lower percentage, you'll need to have atleast one test cleared with good score/rank.

3. Third is ASTAR fellowship of National University of Singapore. It doesn't require any supporting tests (not even GRE or GATE). All it requires is an exceptional academic and co-curricular record. or if you clear GATE with atleast 90 percentile (which according to me is too easy to grab, with some structured preparation), then you can apply at NUS without ASTAR for a PhD position. They don't have high academic cut-offs for M.Tech passed students.

I hope it answered your query to some extent.

Best Regards
Sunil

(06-21-2014, 09:53 AM)pranavi biotech Wrote: Hi everyone,

Guys, I completed my masters in biotechnology in 2011 from India. Now, I want to pursue my further career in biotech mixed with any computer related subjects (like Bioengineering). So can anyone please suggest me are there any courses in masters and also universities which are offering subjects as I asked before.

Also please suggest me that "Is it better to opt now for masters in the previously mentioned subjects (biotech mixed up with computers) or Ph.D. (purely biotechnology), so that I want to earn a good job in biotech field itself.

Have a nice time guys.
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply
(06-21-2014, 09:53 AM)pranavi biotech Wrote: Hi everyone,

Have a nice time guys.
Dear Pranavi,
Thanks for giving me this opportunity, you need to first decide if you want a job or a Ph.D degree, since Ph.D is a long haul, It can take upto 5 years or more, so are you ready to undergo the research methodology etc and follow your guide, by undertaking the experiments to complete the research topic. One more suggestion is choose a guide who is known for his competencies and if possible the institute should also be little well known in the field. Broader topics which have good job potential are Medical Biotechnology; Food Biotechnology; Industrial Biotechnology and latest being Bioinformatics which needs some level of computer programming etc. Regards and all the best. Dr.Shiv - shivraj23@yahoo.com
Regards,
Dr.Shivraj Dasari.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 24,555
02-24-2020, 04:47 AM
Last PostSomatek SYuen