sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regarding Internship
I am mehak doing BSc (Hons) Biotechnology and currently in 2 year. I am applying for the internship. I want to know about difference between academic and industrial research. I got confused in both of them. I ain't interested in job.
Thanks
Like Post Reply
Assuming that you are only talking about Internship related research (and not PhD):
Academic research is often more conclusive in short time spans (wherein your advisor will assign you with an aim, mostly after "you approach him/her with your interests" and he tells you appropriate methods). You study the literature, perform the experiments, get the results. Give the presentation and get your marks/ remarks.

In industry, your choice part is in choosing the industry. Thereafter, your training subject is mostly decided by the requirements of the industry and your perceived calibre. You often get oriented towards the equipments or tools used in the industry, followed by an experiment or two to use those tools. In some cases, you might get an opportunity to do some part of experiments in an ongoing project (depends upon perceived calibre). Shorter the training span, the more "introduction" type of training it will be in an industry. You will be made aware of the processes, security, QC etc. Given the fact that most industries have pre-defined modus operandi, the possibility of doing some exploratory work is less.

But, if you manage to get internship in an R&D organization, you might be able to get a nice mix of Academia and Industry!

Hope it helps
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
[+] 1 user Likes SunilNagpal's post
Like Post Reply
Thanks for the reply sir.
Actually I am applying for internship at IASc and there is option given between the academic and industrial research. I noticed the pros of industrial research in your post. Is industrial research is better than academic one ? Also i have to make a project on number of the experiments performed in any job training and to be submitted in college .
Like Post Reply
(11-14-2017, 08:13 PM)SunilNagpal Wrote: Assuming that you are only talking about Internship related research (and not PhD):
Academic research is often more conclusive in short time spans (wherein your advisor will assign you with an aim, mostly after "you approach him/her with your interests" and he tells you appropriate methods). You study the literature, perform the experiments, get the results. Give the presentation and get your marks/ remarks.

In industry, your choice part is in choosing the industry. Thereafter, your training subject is mostly decided by the requirements of the industry and your perceived calibre. You often get oriented towards the equipments or tools used in the industry, followed by an experiment or two to use those tools. In some cases, you might get an opportunity to do some part of experiments in an ongoing project (depends upon perceived calibre). Shorter the training span, the more "introduction" type of training it will be in an industry. You will be made aware of the processes, security, QC etc. Given the fact that most industries have pre-defined modus operandi, the possibility of doing some exploratory work is less.

But, if you manage to get internship in an R&D organization, you might be able to get a nice mix of Academia and Industry!

Hope it helps

In addition,there is an advantage in Industrial research with respect to the opportunity to get acquainted with "Latest Technology/ Processes" (an industry is expected to use modern technology; as compared to an academic institute which might have an old curriculum/ similar line of projects).
Sunil Nagpal

Suggested Reads:
Like Post Reply
Thanks sir , according to you which research option I shall choose that would be helpful in improving my practical skills and making project .
Like Post Reply
(11-14-2017, 09:53 PM)Mehak3 Wrote: Thanks for the reply sir.
Actually I am applying for internship at IASc and there is option given between the academic and industrial research. I noticed the pros of industrial research in your post. Is industrial research is better than academic one ? Also i have to make a project on number of the experiments performed in any job training and to be submitted in college .

Frankly, I don't have any experience pertaining to the difference between IASc's academic and industrial training. But my strong opinion will always be "Industrial Training". Reason: You are already a part of academia, must have done enough experiments or studied about them. All you have done till date is "Academic" research. Now, if and when ever you have an opportunity - Go for Industrial Research , which will bring your experience more closer to the industry/ applied research.
Sunil Nagpal

Suggested Reads:
Like Post Reply
Ohh!! Now I am more inclined towards the industrial research. yes I had done experiments in academia and now I am curious to learn new. Thanks for clarifying the difference between them too. I surfed too many sites and still didn't get the appropriate answer. please tell me some topics related to genetics and immunology. I am interested in gene editing and DNA repair .
[+] 1 user Likes Mehak3's post
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 5,504
06-25-2018, 01:18 AM
Last Postsunil4
Replies: 1